Friday, October 31, 2008

Interview with 'Golf in the Kingdom' Producer Mindy Affrime

Recently I had the distinct pleasure of interviewing Golf in the Kingdom Producer Mindy Affrime, about the history of the movie.

"When I was working at Warner Brothers I got pitched on Golf in the Kingdom. I read the book and it really spoke to the way I played golf. I used to play on late Friday afternoons in Mill Valley by myself and experienced the sublime qualities that golf offers, like merging with nature, opportunity for reflection and quieting the mind. I loved the book and through a friend at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, I called Michael Murphy the author. We had a great conversation ... back in 1989.

We met in Saucilito, hit it off, came back to Hollywood and wrote him a check. Clint Eastwood got word of the movie project and wanted to meet with us. After a meeting with Michael, myself and Clint, Michael said:"I can't think of anybody better to make Golf in the Kingdom."
Clint has been a great supporter of the GITK project and calls it his golf "bible."

A few years ago Clint relinquished his rights to the movie, for Michael and myself to independently create a movie that reflects the authenticity and integrity of the greatest Golf novel ever written."

Tune in next week to see how next year on the 20th anniversary of that fateful first conversation Golf in the Kingdom will become a reality in 2009!

In Shivas' spirit,

Auke

No comments: