Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My visit to Stone Eagle and meeting with Mr 59!

I am in AWE of my first visit to Stone Eagle... there is not another golf course that I have ever seen that compares to the uniqueness of it. Masterfully "framed" in a bowl shaped outcropping at 1,100 feet elevation in Palm Desert by renaissance golf course designer Tom Doak, there is such a one-of-a-kind sensibility about the property...it makes you literally feel like you are on TOP OF THE WORLD!

The vista's are grandiose with several viewpoints like the 7th tee where you can see 16 of the 18 holes. It was a visit for Golf Cognoscente, but I knew my good friend Al Geiberger was the pro emeritus. I hadn't seen Al in several years and to my delight he showed up while we were on property. He was pleasantly surprised, since he thought I was still back in Florida. Well....to get a personal tour by Al Geiberger was such a treat. After the tour with Al's expert tips and nuances about the fabulous layout, I can't wait to return and tee it up!

We proceeded to the range and Al hit some balls and let me tell you ... at 71 he still has one of the best swings on the planet! He won his division with Jimmy Powell in Savannah at the Legends this year and I challenged him to play New Port Beach this coming March.

It was a delightful day at a memorable venue, which we are looking forward to feature on the cover of the premier issue of GCQ.

We appreciate the hospitality by Ted Lennon and John Fitzpatrick and Al, it was great to see you, I'll be back soon!

In AWE.....Auke.

No comments: