Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Southern California calls me ... so does home!

Southern California ... the land of celebrity, the Lakers, U.S. Open and amazing weather ... and the great experience of EURO 2008.

My sincere apologies for the delay on this report, but between the constant celebrity sightings, The Lakers NBA Final run, The U.S. Open at Torrey Pines and EURO 2008, where do I find the time? On my unexpected extended stay in Southern California I run into William Baldwin - with whom I share a birthday - frequently at the Beverly Hills Starbucks, run into Kelsy Grammer - with whom I share a birthday - at Tra di Noi in Malibu and see Jack Nicholson, Kimora Lee Simmons among others ... that's Tinseltown for you!

The city of Los Angeles has been swept away by the Lakers run and the Gold and Purple is everywhere. Although I have a tie with the Celtics, since Doc Rivers makes his home in my former place of residence Winter Park.

Oh golf ... well, enough said about Tiger's incredible U.S. Open victory ... just world class all the way. I had a hunch that we would see very little of Tiger the rest of the year and I was right. Reports today confirm that Tiger has shut it down for the rest of the season. But in the process Rocco Mediate won the heart of every golf fan and inspired every aging player to take on the young guns anytime! Little to report on the Fashion front except the stupid comment by Johnny Miller referring to Fashion plate Camilo Villegas' outfit as the viewer expecting him to show up to paint your house ... Keep it to the golf Johnny!

Okay ... I confess to the real reason for the delay ... My Dutch heritage has been swept up in EURO 2008, the European soccer championship where the "Brilliant Orange" have been dominating opponents like Italy, France and Romania. It is truly hard to convey what soccer means back home ... how about 50,000 Dutch supporters traveling to Bern to watch the game on a big screen in a CITY SQUARE just to be part of the jubilant festivities. I guess I'll get back to golf the first week of July?

As for SoCal ... very cool place with SO much to do, the question is how to"fit" it all in!

Auke

No comments: